Caprivi strip in South West Africa (now Namibia) is named after German Chancellor Leo Von Caprivi ( Chancellor from 1890-94). It became part of German South West Africa in terms of Zanzibar Treaty of 1890 between the Germany and United Kingdom. It provided Germany access to Zambezi river and route to Africa’s east coast where Germany had its Colonies.
Caprivi strip is a salient of Namibia which protrudes for 450 km from the north eastern corner of Namibia. It is bordered by Botswana in the south, Angola and Zambia in the North and eastern borders are 1 km from Zimbabwe. Zambezi river forms the border with Zambia and Kwando/Chobe river forms border with Botswana.
The largest settlement is Katima Mulilo located where river Zambezi enters the strip. The area is rich in wildlife and mineral resources.
South West Africa issued a set of four stamps on Caprivi strip on 06 Nov 1986. It is cancelled at Katima Mulilo.
14c – Zambezi river. It is the main source for the economy of eastern Caprivi
20c- Stock and Crop Farming. The main cattle breed is Sanga which meat and milk and crops are maize, wheat, sorghum & watermelons
25c -Settlements- No fixed settlement in eastern Caprivi. A settlement consists of up to 30 households.
30c – Map of the strip. Caprivi strip consists of Eastern and Western Caprivi. The Western Caprivi is now a nature reserve. Eastern Caprivi is fully inhabited.