Special Cover on Jehangir Art Gallery – Golden Jubilee -2002
Jehangir Art Gallery was inaugurated on 21 Jan 1952 by the then Chief Minister of Bombay State B G Kher and dedicated to the memory of Sir Cowasji Jehangir’s son Jehangir. It is an art gallery located in Mumbai at Kala Ghoda near Gateway of India. It was designed by G M Bhuta.
A Special Cover was issued on 18 Dec 2002 to mark its Golden Jubilee.
Paintings from Pescatore Museum – Stamps of Luxembourg 1984
Jean Pierre Pescatore Museum is located in Luxembourg.It is housed in Villa Vauban and called Luxembourg City Art Museum. Collection of old masters painting. The museum’s collections find their origins in 19th Century when three influential figures Jean Pierre Pescatore (1793-1855), Leo Lippmann (1803-1883) and Eugene Dutreux-Pescatore (1810-1902) bequeathed their private collections to their home city.
Jean Pierre Pescatore – Tobacco Merchant and Banker – Collection of 17th Century Dutch Paintings and contemporary French history paintings,sculptures & drawings.
Leo Lippmann -Banker & Consul general of Luxembourg in Amsterdam – Collection of 19th Century art,particularly history paintings.
Eugene Dutreux-Pescatore – Inherited her 18th century history paintings,still lifes and Portraits.
These collections of Golden age of Dutch Paintings (17th Century) included works by Cornelis Bega, Gerrit Dou & Jan Steen and 19th Century French history and landscape paintings by artists like Eugene Delacroix,Jean-Louis-Ernest-Meissonier and Jule Dupre.
Luxembourg issued a set of four stamps on Paintings from this museum on 07 May 1984.
4 fr – “Smoker” by David Teniers le Jeune (17th Century)
7 fr – “Young Turk Caressing His Horse” (1826) by Eugene Delacroix (1798-1863)
10 fr – “Festival of Kings” by Jan Steen
50 fr- “The Lacemaker” by Pieter van slingelandt (17th Century)
Originally known as Buckingham House it was acquired as a large townhouse in 1703 for Duke of Buckingham .In 1761 it was acquired by King George III as Private residence for Queen Charlotte and became known as Queen’s House. It became Buckingham Palace and London residence of the British Monarch on accession of Queen Victoria in 1837.
It was First thrown open to Public on 07 Aug 1993 and a Special Cover was released to Commemorate this event. The Cancellation depicts the words “Ceremonial Capital Of World” and has mint stamps on each of the Monarchs who occupied Buckingham Palace from 1837 to 1993. In the foreground is a beautiful sketch of the Palace.