When the Portuguese landed outside a temple on the coast, they asked the natives about the name of the temple. The natives called it A-Ma-Gok (Pavilion of the Mother). The Portuguese named the peninsula as Macau based on the temple name. A-Ma temple is dedicated to Chinese Sea-goddess Mazu and is located in Sao Lourenco in Macau. It was built in 1488 and is believed to be one of the oldest in Macau. This Buddhist Temple consists of Six parts -Gate Pavilion, Memorial Arch, The Prayer Hall, Hall of Benevolence, Hall of Guanyin and Buddhist Pavilion.
In 2005, it became one of the designated sites for Historic Centre of Macau, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
A Miniature sheet was issued by Macau on 29 Ap 1997 on A-Ma temple.
China hosted the 22nd UPU Congress in Beijing in 1999. It issued a Miniature sheet containing eight stamps on Huangshan mountain on 20 Oct 1997. Each stamp was of 200 Chinese renminbi.
Huangshan is a mountain range in southern Anhui province in eastern China. It is UNESCO World Heritage site and one of China’s main tourist destinations. It was namedHuangshan Mountain (Yellow Mountain) in 747 AD by Imperial order of Tang Dynasty.
The scenes feature on the miniature sheet from Top left to right are
200 ren – Mount Huangshan at Sunrise 200 ren -XIHAI Peaks
200 ren – Flying rock in surging Clouds. 200 ren – Beihai in drifting Clouds
200 ren -Yupping Peak 200 ren – Mystical Stone
200 ren – Tiandu Peak over Clouds 200 ren – Fabied abode of Immortals
Malaysia issued a miniature sheet with four stamps on UNESCO World Heritage Sites on 09 Apr 2009.
50 sen – Historic City of Straits of Malacca (World Heritage Site 2008)
50 sen – Taman Kinabalu, Sabah (World Heritage Site 2000)-First national Parks of Malaysia built in 1964. It is Malaysia’s First UNESCO Heritage sites. It is surrounded by Mount Kinabalu -the highest mountain on the Island of Borneo. This park is home to 4,500 species of Flora and Fauna including 326 Bird species.
50 sen – George Town, Penang (World Heritage Site 2008)
50 sen – Taman Negara Mulu, Sarawak – Mulu National Park has one of the largest known Caves in the World.
The Qasr al Hosn also known as White Fort or Old Fort was built in 1761 as a conical watchtower to defend the only freshwater well in Abu Dhabi Island. The tower was expanded as a small fort in 1793 by the then ruler and became the residence of Sheikh.It remained Emir’s Palace (hence the name Qasr al Hosn meaning Palace Fort) and seat of Government till 1966.
It is the oldest stone building in Abu Dhabi capital of UAE and now houses the Abu Dhabi cultural foundation where research on UAE history,archaeology,architecture is done. It has a museum displaying artifacts,pictures and weapons related to regions history.It was designated as World Heritage site in 1976. Qasr al Hosn festival is held here annually.
UAE issued a set of four stamps to commemorate the more than 250 years of this historic Fort. The stamps were issued on 25 Nov 2013.