Historical Cinema Theatres of Singapore on Stamps 2009.
On 2 Mar 2009 Singapore issued a set of Five stamps on Historical Cinema Theatres . The First silent films came to Singapore in 1902.The first Public screening in Apr 1902 in a tent and first theatre opened in 1904.
Cathay– The Cinema raised its curtains on 3rd Oct 1939 becoming Singapore’s first air conditioned cinema & first skyscraper, the tallest in Southeast Asia that time. On 24 Mar 2006 it was redeveloped together with Cathay Building and opened to public with 8 Cinema halls including The Grand Cathay ant The Picturehouse.
The Majestic – A historic building in Chinatown built in 1927 and completed in 1928.It was known as The Majestic theatre.In Jan 2003 it was reopened but as a shopping mall and renamed “The Majestic
Capitol Building – Historic building at the junction of North Bridge road and stamford road..Completed in 1933 it operated under the name of Kyo-Ei Gekkyo under Japanese occupation until 1944.After 1946 the Capitol was purchased by Shaw and rebuilt becoming the organisation’s flagship theatre and renamed Shaw building. Its use as a movie theatre ended with its last screening on 29 Dec 1998.
QUEENS– First opened in 1920s as Ritz theatre renamed “Nanyo Gekizyo” during Japanese occupation 1942-45. It became Queens Theatre in 1946 and ceased operations in 1983.
Rex – A Shaw brothers Cinema opened in 1946 with the inaugural screening of The Jungle Book and ceased operations in 1983 having screened its last film “Jaws 3-D”.