Aitchison College Lahore – Stamps of Pakistan 2012
The Wards School at Ambala (India) was established in 1868 for education of Children in Punjab. This was the basis of efforts by the then Governor of Punjab Sir Charles Umpherston Aitchison to expand Government Wards School into Chiefs’ College.
The initial design of College building was conceived by Bhai Ram Singh Vice Principal of Mayo College of Arts & Colonel Sir Samuel Jacob Executive Engineer at Jeypore (Jaipur).Chiefs’ college started classes for 12 Boys initially at Abbot Road while main building construction was still on.
The College was formally inaugurated as Chiefs’ College on 03 Nov 1886 by Viceroy,Earl of Dufferin and Ava . On 13 Nov 1886 it was renamed as Aitchison College after The Governor of Punjab Sir Charles Umpherston Aitchison. The old building of Aitchison college was designed by Bhai Ram Singh (a leading Architect) and built by Sir Ganga Ram (Leading builder of that time).
Aitchison College today is an independent ,semi private boys school for grade 1-13 and located at Lahore. The school curriculum culminates in International General Certificate.Almost 90% boys move on to study overseas in World’s Top Universities. It is the only Cambridge Examination Centre situated in a school. Aitchison is a member of G20 Schools of the World.
Pakistan issued a stamp on 03 Mar 2012 to celebrate 125th Anniversary of Aitchison College Lahore. A FDC is listed.