A-Ma Temple on Miniature Sheet -Macau 1997.
When the Portuguese landed outside a temple on the coast, they asked the natives about the name of the temple. The natives called it A-Ma-Gok (Pavilion of the Mother). The Portuguese named the peninsula as Macau based on the temple name. A-Ma temple is dedicated to Chinese Sea-goddess Mazu and is located in Sao Lourenco in Macau. It was built in 1488 and is believed to be one of the oldest in Macau. This Buddhist Temple consists of Six parts -Gate Pavilion, Memorial Arch, The Prayer Hall, Hall of Benevolence, Hall of Guanyin and Buddhist Pavilion.
In 2005, it became one of the designated sites for Historic Centre of Macau, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
A Miniature sheet was issued by Macau on 29 Ap 1997 on A-Ma temple.