Nuwara Eliya Golf Club – Sri Lanka 1989
Sri Lanka issued two stamps to commemorate the centenary of Nuwara Eliya Golf Club in 1989. It was established on 13 Mar 1889 by a Scottish Soldier of the Gordon Highlanders for Servicemen posted in the hill station of Nuwara Eliya. The 18 hole course is located at an altitude of 1,830 metres (6,000 feet) and originally built among tea plantations. It is the Oldest Golf Club of Sri Lanka.
Gordon highlanders won two Victoria Cross medals during 1897-98 in campaigns in North West Frontier Province. Piper George Findlater and Edward Lawson. Pipers Findlater & John Kidd though shot kept on playing “The Cock O’ The North” as troops advanced to the heights.
75 cent – Golf Ball
8.50 Sri Lankan Rupee – The Golf Club