Stamps on Qasr Al Hosn -United Arab Emirates 2013
The Qasr al Hosn also known as White Fort or Old Fort was built in 1761 as a conical watchtower to defend the only freshwater well in Abu Dhabi Island. The tower was expanded as a small fort in 1793 by the then ruler and became the residence of Sheikh.It remained Emir’s Palace (hence the name Qasr al Hosn meaning Palace Fort) and seat of Government till 1966.
It is the oldest stone building in Abu Dhabi capital of UAE and now houses the Abu Dhabi cultural foundation where research on UAE history,archaeology,architecture is done. It has a museum displaying artifacts,pictures and weapons related to regions history.It was designated as World Heritage site in 1976. Qasr al Hosn festival is held here annually.
UAE issued a set of four stamps to commemorate the more than 250 years of this historic Fort. The stamps were issued on 25 Nov 2013.