State Flag of Massachusetts – USA 1976.
The USA issued a set of 50 stamps on State Flags of States of the USA on 23 Feb 1976. We are listing them in Alphabetical order of States name. All stamps are 13 cents denomination. This stamp is 22nd in the series.
Massachusetts State Flag – The Final flag was approved in 1971. The main features on the Flag are
- The flag features the Coat of Arms in a background of White.
- The shield features the Algonquian native American with a bow & arrow.
- The arrow is pointed downwards signifying peace.
- A white star with five points near figure’s head signifies Massachusetts as a USA state.
- A blue-ribbon surrounds the shield with motto “Ense Petit Placidam, sub Libertate Quietem” (” By the Sword, we seek Peace, But Peace Only under Liberty”)
- Above the shield is State Military crest – the bent arm holding Broadsword aloft
A First Day Cover is listed, it shows Massachusetts State Flag.